Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Next Stop, Porto

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been hanging out with some Irish folk who have a home here which has been great. It has been a change to have dinner or drinks every night with people who speak English, being introduced to restaurant and shop owners and planning the next day. I have seen and done things I probably would not have done on my own.

Yesterday we took the bus out to Sagres, close to Cape St. Vincent which is the most southwestern part of Europe, and also a big surfer destination. It went from hot and intense in Lagos to warm and windy in Sagres. When we got off the bus, we went down to the beach and decided to go for a swim. Although I had not brought a suit, towel or anything else, my traveling companions persuaded me to do as the Europeans do, strip down to your undies and don't worry about the rest. The Atlantic water was cold at first but refreshing, very clear and beautiful as I was surrounded by cliffs. We then hiked around the fort that Prince Henry built in the 15th century to house his school devoted to navigation and exploration but he lived mainly in nearby Lagos. Although the fog was rolling in and it was quite windy, the views from the fort were incredible and we saw a man fishing from the cliffs. Since it's about 200 feet down to the water, when he caught a fish, he lowered a basket and a line to bring him back up, it was quite a sight to see.

My time has come to an end in the beautiful Algarve region of Southern Portugal. It has been fun and relaxing and other than Bellagio, this is the longest time I have spent in one place. It will be hard to leave in the morning but knowing that wine, port and good food are on the other end, I think I will manage somehow.

2 comments:

Tony K said...

SO I suppose you'll be joining a nudist colony when you return to the US so that you can continue in your free-wheelin' clothes optional ways.

Sounds like you are having a good time. Keep it up.

Travel said...

you know, do as the natives do and enjoy the culture, food, wine and everything that passes by. having a great time.

i wonder if they have project managers in nudist colonies?